This week we talk about:
- Microsoft opening up?
- They’ve published the file formats for Office documents
- Now they’ve published thousands of API definitions and are encouraging open source interoperability
- RedHat is skeptical
- The EU expresses doubt
- Google news for video?
- Check out NewsClipper
- TechCrunch story here
- GSM encryption broken
- Researchers at a Black Hat conference in Washington claim to be able to listen in to GSM phone conversations with $1000 worth of equipment
- Balloon WiFi
- Google may team up with Space Data Corp., which provides wifi and cellular services via weather balloons
- Original story in the Wall Street Journal
- Document collaboration with SubEthaEdit
- Check out SubEthaEdit
- Very cool document collaboration:
Wide area bonjour should be interesting, though doesn't it rely on multicast being reliably passed through all the ISPs and carrier networks?
No, my understanding is that for wide areas you tell your local machine, via a Bonjour control panel you can download where there is a DNS server to use to look up services.
Multicast is only used on the local sub-net.
Post a Comment