Like many, I'm looking forward to the announcement of a 3G iPhone that I can buy here in Australia, but I'm also wondering what goodies we might see on the MacOS X and developer front. "Snow Leopard" sounds like an incremental update to Leopard, (which seems to be a very stable OS to me), but it would have to have some major changes under the hood. What comes to mind is:
- Switching to a more modern, faster kernel, such as L4.
- Make other languages, hopefully python, a first class AppleScripting language
- Dropping support for PowerPC and no doubt cleaning out the code somewhat
- Home directory in the cloud, or at least properly on a flash key drive
- Build in the best of Wine, to make it at least easy to port Windows software to the Mac
- A framework for making application uninstallers
- ZFS or something to update HFS+
I'm also looking forward to an updated copy of "Cocoa Programming for MacOS X".