My workplace had a few people in the same boat as me and kindly they organised a weight loss program that worked very well for me. I lost 10Kgs, mostly by replacing snack food with carrots.
Once again, my weight is creeping up so about ten weeks ago I started trying to lose some weight again. I record my daily weight in the morning. Above is a graph of my weight once a week on Fridays. (I'm being kind to my self as I always go up over the weekends).
Things I've learned about losing weight:
- Can't do it by starving, hunger is a very strong drive, you might beat it for a while but it will win.
- Can do it by replacing one filling food with another with less energy in it. I lost 10Kg by eating lots of carrots.
- Can do it by stopping eating when you are satisfied. (It's a real trap that you'll finish the whole plate just because it's there).
- Exercise makes me hungry and may not result in weight loss.
- Exercise needs to be sustainable, I know if I join the gym I won't keep going in the long term. Walking on the way home, however, seems sustainable.
- Don't worry about daily fluctuations. Actual weight is mostly water and that goes up and down often by 1 or 2 kilos. Track weekly results and don't panic if one day goes the wrong way.